MILTON, Vt. As hunters prepare for waterfowl season, Vt. Fish and Wildlife are warning them about being in the water, with Blue green algae blooms on the rise.
Andy Dezotelle spent his Saturday prepping his blind on Lake Champlain. He brought his daughter to enjoy the day out on the water.
“For me, there is nothing better than getting kids out in the outdoors,” said Dezotelle, whose lifelong passion for hunting has created another bond, one with his dog
“There is definitely a bond between a hunter and a dog. She makes the hunt a lot more successful,” said Dezotelle about his dog.
He says that relationship runs deep for waterfowl hunters and it’s one that he hopes to teach his daughter for when she is ready to hunt.
“Especially if you get them into the tall grass, you probably would never find it on your own, but with a dog that can usually just head right in and retrieve them,” said Dezotelle.
Vt. Fish and Wildlife is asking hunters to be careful with their retrieving dogs this hunting season.
A potentially deadly, toxin could be lurking in water commonly used by hunters.
Cyanobacteria, also called blue-green algae, is known for shutting down area beaches.
Fish and Wildlife says the algae produces toxins that are hazardous to animals and there have been several cases of dogs dying from the algae-exposure around the country.
“It’s definitely something to worry about,” said Dezotelle
The dept. has put an interactive map about blue green algae blooms reported around the state on their website
The dept. hopes hunter will take a look at it before they head out on the water.
The Vt. Dept. of Health says the best way to prevent exposure to your animals of blue green algae is just to keep them away from the source.
If they get exposed to the algae they say to wash their fur and then contact your vet
Dezotelle says he checks water conditions and won’t let his dog or his daughter go into contaminated water.
“I know pretty much the water conditions and I won’t let my dog go if I think its sketchy,” said Dezotelle.
It is a lesson learned on safety to keep everyone healthy this waterfowl season
For a link to the website click here.